Hi, I’m Magen Smith. I am a CPA, and I work exclusively with self storage business owners.
I love to work with self storage business owners who:
- want to make as much money as possible in their business
- don’t want to work in the business every single day
- would love for the manager to be able to handle the day-to-day operations
- want all of this to work together so that they can focus on other things
Are you this owner? Let’s talk
The problem is that if your manager is tasked with renting units, implementing policies, monitoring street rates and current tenant rates, and keeping delinquencies down, they don’t have time to think about growing your business and streamlining processes.
As the “Self Storage CPA”, I started my firm to help self storage owners have more time and more freedom and to help self storage managers become fantastic at their job. If you want to improve your facility and aren’t sure how to do it, you are in the right place. I know the storage business from the inside out and love to help others succeed.
In 2006, I became the manager of a brand new self-storage business, and the owners had no storage experience. I set up all the marketing, pricing, referral programs, policies, and procedures for the company. My degree in accounting and marketing helped create a profitable self storage business, but I wanted to do more. I wanted to help other self storage businesses thrive, so obtained my CPA license and created Magen Smith CPA, LLC, with the goal of helping other business owners grow their self storage businesses.
I work best with owners who have a desire to change something in their business (increase occupancy, increase revenue, decrease delinquencies) but aren’t quite sure how to change it. As an owner, you might not have the time or even the knowledge to help your managers improve your business. Don’t hire a management company and write a check for 6% of gross revenue every month. I can help you to be involved in the business to the extent that you’d like while keeping that 6% in your bank account. Because I was once in the manager’s shoes and because I have worked with self storage business owners across the country, I can bring a combined business and accounting perspective into your business that you can’t get anywhere else. Ready to contact me? You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some things that you should know about me:
- I don’t do taxes. If you need tax help, I can help find you someone, but it won’t be me.
- I get really involved. When I am on your team, I tend to question things. I want to make sure that we are thinking about every angle and every opportunity to make your business better. I will think about your company at night and worry about how to make it better. When I work with someone, I treat their company like it is my own because I want you to succeed.
- I don’t accept many clients. Because I get so involved and because I am the only person in my business, I don’t have space for many clients. This means that you will get more attention from me, but it also means that I am not the cheapest option out there. When you hire me, you get quality attention, and lots of it.
- I have a sense of humor and like to enjoy my work. I hope you are someone that can appreciate a joke and a casual conversation. If you are in a suit all the time and expect me to be as well, we probably won’t get along. But if you value open and honest communication, you are in the right place.
- I love what I do. The self-storage industry is personal to me. When I held the position of a storage manager, I had to solve new problems every day and was able to meet amazing new people and hear their stories. Now, as a CPA and self-storage consultant, I am able to help managers do their job better and help owners have a better business. This industry is full of amazing interesting people and I feel blessed to be part of it.
What folks say about me: