Moving from SiteLink Stand Alone Edition to SiteLink Web Edition™ will give you many more features and benefits, but it is a decision that should be made carefully—This is what I learned converting my last customer from Stand Alone to Web Edition.
The first step is to download SiteLink’s Web Version and let your manager spend some time playing with the program to make sure she is comfortable. It is very similar to the Stand Alone edition, but a few features are in different places. You need the program downloaded on your computer before you can convert anyway, so it’s smart to get some practice in. There are training videos available in the program to ease the learning curve.
Before you convert, you need to make sure your other systems are compatible with SiteLink Web Edition™.
- Gate software — You may need your version number, which is located on the hardware in your office. Give them a call and make sure that your system is compatible.
- Credit card processor – You need to decide if you will stick with your credit card processor or move to a new one. PC Charge isn’t compatible with SiteLink Web Edition™, so if that is what you were using, you will need to switch processors.
More on credit card processors
Both SBOA (Storage Business Owner’s Alliance) and SiteLink Merchant Services™ will process credit cards for you, so get quotes and see which you prefer to working with. You will have to send them your recent credit card processing statement for them to give you a quote on how much money they can save you. Once you choose a processor, it takes 2-5 days to have your account setup. Here are a few steps to take once you get your account set up:
- Add your new processor to Sitelink
- Add users and change your passwords
- Get instructions on voids sales and giving refunds
As you are working through the process of converting your credit card processor, you can also start working with Sitelink on converting to Web Edition. Here is the process to follow:
- Get a quote on the software by contacting Sitelink
- Fill out the applications that you receive and sign the quotes. You will need to pick your start date for the conversion. Choose this date carefully to keep operations running as smoothly as possible.
- Schedule the conversion after you finish converting your credit card processor
You will want to pick a day that is going to be quiet in the office for the conversion.
You will want to pick a day that is going to be quiet in the office for the conversion. Look at your transaction history and choose the least busy time of the week. For example, if you are first of the monthly billing, it would not be in your best interest to convert on the first which is your busiest day.
When the systems are converted, Sitelink will log into your computer and pull your file. You will work in the old file for the day, but anything that you do won’t be converted so you will need to redo the information when the new Web file is returned to you. Make sure to document:
When you log in to Web Edition, compare rent rolls with SiteLink Stand Alone to make sure that you added everything that happened that day. SiteLink’s support team will walk you through this comparison.
After you have successful converted your software and checked for accuracy:
- Turn off your old credit card processor (including closing the account)
- Once the conversion is done, make sure that all future transactions are posted into the Web Edition and not the Stand Alone version.
- Move old standalone version to a hidden folder. Some of the older data may not come over in the detail that you need, so be sure to keep the Stand Alone version available.
Once you are done with all of these steps, you can enjoy your new web version and all the features. Sitelink offers webinars regularly to walk you through the features and benefits of this new version, but you can always email me firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. I hope this blog is helpful for any of you considering making the move.