I offer two types of audits:
- Facility audit
- Operational audit
Both audits come with a report of findings and recommendations for improvements. You can also add on an operational assessment to either package. My assessments are designed to see how your facility stacks up against your competitors and identifies areas of improvement to become the premier facility in your area. I factor in website appearance, competitor rates, competitor appearance, your rental rates, employee sales skills, ease of renting a unit, ease of finding your facility, signage at the location, etc. to give you a roadmap for improvements needed.
I do not provide financial statement audits.
Below are the details of what is included in each audit. Before we begin working together, we will have a conversation so I can understand your problem areas and make sure I give them attention. Both audits are customizable to make sure you get exactly what you need.
When I perform a facility audit, I am looking for certain key things:
- I check daily deposits from your storage program, making sure all the money was deposited into your bank account.
- I look at each individual self storage unit, making sure every unit matches the self storage system. Here are a few things that I check for:
- Every unit that should be rented has a lock
- Every unit that should be vacant has a company lock
- Every unit that should be overlocked has an overlock
- Every unit that should not be overlocked only has a tenant lock
- Every unit that is in auction has an overlock and unbroken company seal
- I look at the rent roll to see if there is any variance between what tenants should be paying each month and what they are actually paying each month.
I recommend that facilities audits be performed quarterly.
An operational audit is a 360-degree view of your company, starting with your goals, areas of concerns, and what you want accomplished. Each assessment is customized to ensure that you are getting the best value and results. Operational audits are best performed annually. Below is some of what you get with an operational audit.
- I will give you feedback on the appearance of your facility, your management and the move in process. It is impossible for your team or yourself to view your facility with fresh eyes, but I can show you how a new customer sees your facility- their first impressions, calling the facility, visiting the website, and moving in- to show you how your facility and staff is represented.
- A facility audit is performed to make sure that all money went to the bank, and all units are rented correctly.
- I will check the following items:
- Inventory – Does it match your storage software?
- Petty cash – Is the money in the drawer accurate?
- Sample of leases-
- Is more than one tenant listed?
- Does signatures match name on the lease?
- Do lease dates match the computer?
- Do you have a copy of the tenant ID?
- Is the tenant information sheet filled out properly?
- Change of address forms – Do all address changes have proper documentation?
- Credits and discounts issues – Are all credits and discounts properly authorized?
- Log on history – Are employees logging in when they arrive in the office? Are they logging out at night? Is anyone logging on in the middle of the night?
- Exceptions reports – Are all exceptions properly authorized?
- Visual inspection of the facility – gutters, building, concrete, overall appearance, landscaping, keypads, signage, hallways, lights, cleanliness, doors, etc.
- Visually inspection are around the facility – Concrete, trash, dumpster, fire extinguishers, restrooms, office cleanliness
- Assess your employee’s performance –
- Phone skills
- Mystery shop for in person skills
- Move in process
- Rental truck – Check licenses expiration, cleanliness, tires, maintenance logs
- Reserved units – how long have they been reserved?
- Damaged units – how long have they been damaged?
- Operational reports –
- Mangement summary
- Occupied statistics
- Rent variance
- Complimentary units
- Unrentable units
- Vacant spaces
- Exceptions report
- Map of facility